Your next lotto block involves wonky curves, so relax, release those ruler restrictions and freely cut those curves without a template.
Here is an excellent tutorial from The Quilting Edge to help you on your way.
Choose solids, prints or a combination of both as long as at least one section of the block is white or primarily white.
It's still summer, so think of summer colours...lime green, turquoise, and yellow, navy. Check out the July 2023 Color Palette Inspiration in the Modern Quilt Guild Resource Library. (Note that we have changed the neutral to white)
Keep in mind that each time you cut and sew a curve the starting size of your blocks will decrease by 1/2" due to seam allowances.
Please submit blocks finished at 9 to 10" range, squared. Press those blocks flat with steam, flatter or starch!
Blocks Due at October Guild Meeting
General Lotto Rules:
1. Make one quilt block (or many) following the pattern and colour scheme outlined in the lotto announcement blog post. For every block you make and bring to the following month’s meeting, you will get one entry in the lotto. If you are unable to attend the meeting, but really want to participate in the lotto, ask a friend to get your blocks to the meeting, but make sure they are named so we can properly account for your blocks.
2. The winner gets all the blocks to make a quilted project from them (We may hold a vote to split up the blocks between more than one winner if there are enough entries). If you win, the blocks become yours and you can use them in any way you choose. You may only win one group per lotto.
3. We would love to see your finished project, either in person or in pictures, once you are done.
4. Use modern fabrics that you like or love! If you are unsure about your fabric selection as it relates to "Modern" please ask.
5. Have fun! Keep in mind that (most likely) someone else will be taking home your block to incorporate into a larger piece and things must fit together (literally, …so keeping your block true to size is probably the most important thing), but you should also make it yours and enjoy the process.
6. Remember, you must be a member of the Calgary Modern Quilt Guild to participate.