Sat, Feb 05|
David Owen Hastings
Mini Mid-Mod Quilts - Calgary MQG Members Only These charming little quilts are inspired by Mid-Century Modern design, and are a great skill-building project to learn a number of quilting techniques.
Time & Location
Feb 05, 2022, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
About the Event
Note - registration for this class is for Guild Members only and is done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The meeting link for this workshop will be sent via email.
WORK SMALL, WORK SMART, LOOK GREAT.
3 hours: We will start with a simple, modern color palette of neutral fabrics with a flash of color. Clean lines combined with simple design give each tiny composition a sophisticated feeling. Since we are working very small, this is a great project for using small scraps and bits of special fabric.
Participants will learn the quilt-as-you-go method, and a PDF materials and supplies list will be emailed in advance. Hand stitching adds a sleek, linear element. Finishing techniques will be demonstrated.
This workshop is a 3-hour live-stream event, conducted on Zoom, consisting of live instruction (no recording, please). You should have the current version of Zoom installed on your computer or laptop. Guidance for getting started will be sent in advance of the workshop.
Zoom Workshop Details
- Select a range of neutral fabrics (all light, medium or dark), and a bright accent color. Solids, and subtle, small scale prints or textures work best.
- Cut cotton batting and backing fabric into 5″ squares.
- Cut a selection of the neutral fabrics into small strips (sizes will be provided).
- Cut a small amount of the bright accent color fabric.
- Learn the quilt-as-you-go technique, working from the inside out.
- Explore strip piecing, and leaving the raw edges on the outside for extra texture.
- Trim your small quilt blocks and stay stitch the edges.
- Learn about hand stitching, and experiment with adding your own design.
- Sew the backing onto the top of your mini quilts, leaving a space for turning.
- Turn and press, then do a final stitching around the perimeter.
This is an all-levels class. You should be comfortable using your sewing machine, and it should be in good working order. I look forward to sharing and sewing with you!
A complete PDF materials list, including step-by-step notes, will be emailed to each participant. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one time.